Governance

During Spring 2015, I was elected as Staff Governor. During the remainder of the school year, I attended 3 meetings (Finance & Premises, Staffing & Curriculum, and a Full Governing Body meeting).

I sought the post as staff governor given my interest in school leadership and policy. I have a deep interest in school improvement, and the political pressure that the school is under in order to achieve a “Good ” Ofsted rating. My interest in leadership and education policy in England developed during my MA studies (2012-13), and my internship with the Education Select Committee (Summer 2013). While at the Institute of Education I took a course on Education Policy, and wrote an essay on school leadership and governance, with reference to the government’s cross-party implementation of the PFI schools program over the past decade. While working for the Education Select Committee, I helped analyze preliminary evidence for the Academies report (Published in January 2015). I used the House of Commons library to organize evidence regarding the financial and academic performance of academies since the mass proliferation of academies in 2010.

As staff governor, I have taken the limited opportunities available in order to help improve various aspects of the school. At the finance and premises meeting, a governor mentioned the need to evaluate various policies for staff insurance. I agreed to work with the School Business Manager in order to evaluate staff absences in relation to various insurance policies. I have written a  recommendation which will be shared with the Finance Committee at their next meeting in the Autumn term.

At the full governing body meeting in Summer 2015, I volunteered to be a member of the Post-Ofsted action group, which will help to evaluate the effectiveness of the Post-Ofsted plan.

I would like to participate in governor’s training and to have a greater influence in the governance of the school.