Curiosity and Homework

Intellectual curiosity can be assessed by children’s willingness to extend their learning beyond the classroom. Therefore, I use a range of online resources that give children the chance to continue their musical learning at home. A brief summary of each site is listed below, and a more detail description can be found in the menu on the right.

• Charanga Music World: This is a website that allows me to assign specific songs to pupils’ accounts to practice at home. Children collect tokens as they pass through the music world, and I receive a report on the amount of time that children have spent on the site. I use this resource primarily for children in Years 3 through 5.
  • Soundation.com: This is a free music composition website that I have started to use with Year 5. Children have created their own accounts, and can compose music, save, and share with others. The Year 5 children have been very interested in this resource, and have spent a lot of time experimenting with the different sounds in the soundation library.
  • London Grid for Learning: Children in Years 4 through 6 have received their LGFL login details. LGFL has many different learning resources for music and for all other curriculum subjects. I have taught children in Years 5 and 6 how to send and reply to email, so that they can ask me for assistance when necessary.
  • The violin club has special violin books with music and CDs. The children use these books to practice songs between lessons, which enhances progress and achievement.
  • I spend a significant amount of time typing music for my recorder clubs and recording CDs for them to practice with at home. Examples of this work can be found in the links to the right.