Gifted Musicians

Starks Field has several gifted musicians whose needs are far beyond those of the average pupil. In order to stretch and challenge these children, I have established a range of resources that they have found useful.

• Dernell, Courtney, and a few other Year 5 children are becoming very good at composition. Therefore, I have directed them toward a website called soundation.com. This is a free website that allows them to compose using a huge library of sounds. For more information about how I use this resource, please visit Standard 4.
  • Courtney and Tia are rapidly improving on the recorder. I have challenged them by giving them music for the Grade 1 recorder exam. They have mastered that music, and I have given them the Grade 2 music. They have nearly mastered that music, so I am now preparing the Grade 3 music for them. It has taken a lot of work, but I am trying to keep head of the girls in order to provide them with more challenging goals.
  • There are a few Year 4 children who are on the verge of becoming very successful at the recorder. Makiyah, Akasya, Syah, Christabell, Dilini, and Elizabeth are progressing very quickly through the music medal syllabus, and are working on the Silver exam music. Dilini’s mother wants her to pursue the Grade 1 exam, so I have provided her with the music. I am trying very hard to encourage this core group of children. I provide them with as much support as possible, and have gradually increased the difficulty of music for them throughout the school year. My goal is that they will pass their silver and gold medals (very challenging), and begin pursuing their graded exams at the end of Year 5.
  • Several of the children in the violin club have demonstrated significant progress over the past term. The violin is not a quick or easy instrument to learn, so I am proud of the children who have continued. Munever and Alexandra are two Year 6 children who were able to pass their Copper music medal exam before the end of Year 6 (Summer 2015). That took a lot of encouragement. Merika (Year 3), Mehmet B (Year 2), and Nathan (Year 2) will be prepared to take their exam soon. (Page published in Summer 2015).